AS I SEE IT - 10/21/2002: News on Philadelphia's
November Wrestling Super-Weekend
by: Bob Magee
The weekend of November 9th will be a wrestling fan's dream for any readers that are able to make it to the Philadelphia area.
On the same weekend that WWE runs a house show at First Union Center, wrestling fans get to see a unique doubleheader of
wrestling from two promotions that have been promoting two very different styles of
wrestling during an era of sports entertainment. The next night, they see Japanese stars for perhaps the only time in their lives wrestling for Rob Dimension's Premier Wrestling Federation.
The weekend starts on Saturday, November 9th, on which Ring of Honor and Combat Zone Wrestling will do a unique doubleheader with two shows in one day.
First, Ring of Honor will run at a special time of 5:00 pm (to allow fans to take in the CZW show that evening) at the Murphy Recreation Center in south Philadelphia with a loaded show featuring:
- ROH Tag Team titles on the line in this match: ROH Team Champions Chris Daniels and Donovan Morgan (and their partner Samoa Joe) take on the team of Low Ki and the UK's Doug Williams, along with their partner Mike Modest.
- Zero-One Presents... Steve Corino and Spanky vs. Masato Tanaka and Shinjiro Ohtani
- American Dragon vs. Paul London vs. AJ Styles vs. Michael Shane vs. The Amazing Red vs. CM Punk
- For the ROH Heavyweight Title: Xavier defends his title against Jay Briscoe
- Alexis Laree vs. Allison Danger
The show will also feature SAT, Homicide, Special K and others to be announced.
Next, Combat Zone Wrestling will run at the ECW Arena at approximately 8:00 pm (time depending on the completion time of the Ring of Honor show).
Along with fans in the Philadelphia area, or who can drive, fans from the Boston and New York areas will be able to see both these shows on November 9th.
For Boston fans, Pro Wrestling Tours is taking (for the first time) a special 50 passenger luxury coach bus. The bus has multiple TV screens/bathrooms/reclining chairs. Cost is $110 and includes: transportation/video watching down and back/tickets to both shows and an incredible night of wrestling action you will never forget.
For more information on the Boston trip, e-mail Pro Wrestling Tours at Prowrestlingtours@hotmail.com.
New York fans can travel to this independent doubleheader via One Of A Kind Tours, who is putting together their usual bus trip to Ring of Honor shows for this special November 9th Philadelphia doubleheader, and adding the CZW November 9th show as part of this trip.
They will be leaving from the Modells behind the Queens Center Mall at 12 noon heading for Philadelphia. The complete price of the trip which includes round trip transportation from Queens to Philadelphia and back and tickets for BOTH SHOWS is ONLY $60.
For more information on the New York trip, email AgentCLPT@aol.com or ECWLegacy@aol.com.
Then, on Sunday, November 10th, in nearby Pottstown, PA, the Premier Wrestling Federation and Morad's Toys present...PWF SuperCard 2002: Vast Energy USA at Academy Hall with a
- TITLE VS. TITLE:
PWF Universal Tag-Team champions Steve Corino and C.W. Anderson vs Zero-One Intercontinental Tag-Team champions Shinjiro Ohtani and Masato Tanaka
- PWF US TITLE:
Champion Jay Briscoe defends against "Hi Flyin" Chris Hamrick (with Lou E.)
- PWF XTREME TITLE:
Champion Jack Victory (with Lou E.) defends against Chris Divine
- ZERO ONE JUNIOR HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE:
Champion Low Ki defends against The Amazing Red (with Allison Danger)
- Quiet Storm vs. Reckless Youth vs. American Dragon
- The S.A.T. vs Da Hit Squad
- Joey Matthews and Billy Bax vs. "Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels and Spanky (WWE permitting)
- Rapid Fire Maldonado and Chi Chi Cruz vs. Rockin' Rebel and Striker
- Johnny Kashmere vs. Samoa Joe
For those not familiar with the Pottstown area, here are directions to Pottstown and to PWF SuperCard 2002: Vast Energy USA:
- From the Poconos and points north:
Take I-78 west to Allentown. Pass all Allentown exits. Just west of Allentown, take Route 100 South (Exit 14A) to Route 422 East toward King of Prussia to the Armand Hammer Boulevard exit.
Get off at this exit and take a right onto Industrial Highway. The parking lot will be
immediately on the right side of the road. Walk about 100 feet up Industrial Highway to Academy Hall, on the opposite side of the street.
- From The Pennsylvania Turnpike:
Get off the Turnpike at the Downingtown Exit (#23).
Turn right onto Route 100 (North). Follow Route 100, continuing until you reach Route 422 East, toward King of Prussia. Take US 422 just
one exit down to the Armand Hammer Boulevard exit. Get off at this exit, and take a right onto Industrial Highway. The parking lot will be
immediately on the right side of the road. Walk about 100 feet up Industrial Highway to Academy Hall, on the opposite side of the road.
- From Philadelphia:
Take the Schuylkill Expressway to Exit 328 A (West Chester/Norristown US 202 to 422) exit, then immediately exit from 202 onto Route 422 West.
Take US 422 West (Pottstown Expressway), past King of Prussia and continue on to Pottstown.
Watch for the Armand-Hammer Boulevard exit. Get off US 422 at this exit onto Industrial Highway. Academy Hall is immediately at the first intersection off 422 on your right. Continue on past the intersection for 100 feet to park in the parking lot on the left side of Industrial Highway.
This November 9th/10th weekend will put before you a smorgasbord of wrestling for fans that like any type of wrestling...
puroresu, American style, or hardcore.
So...for all of you that write me and complain about RAW or Smackdown week after week:
- The readers who say they hate "sports entertainment"...
- The readers who tell me they're tired of wrestlers getting mega-pushes because they sleep with the owner's daughtrer (and booker)...
- The readers who say that they're tired of spending the better part of two hours watching wrestlers trying to be Borscht Belt comedians...and instead want to see men (or women) trying to tell a story in the ring...
If you live in the Philadelphia area, or can get here on the weekend of November 9th/10th, put your money where your mouth is.
Vote with your dollars on the weekend of November 9th/10th and show WWE the kinds of
wrestling you really want to see at your TV screens and local arenas.
Until next time...
(If you have comments or questions, I can be reached by
e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org)